Treating damaged hair is easier than you think with these DIY natural hair masks.
We put our hair through a lot. Air pollution, heat styling, stress, and even hair ties can remove moisture, dull shine, and cause breakage.
This results in frizzy, dry, brittle, and hard-to-tame hair. As most of us will agree, damaged hair is the last thing we want!
Luckily we have some tools to restore your hair to its lush and shiny self.
Try this Avocado Hair Mask
Yes, we know it’s basic, but can we talk about how much we love avocados? Turns out there is more reason to love them, as they can work wonders for your hair!
Avocados are very moisturizing because they contain natural oils, fatty acids, and are rich in vitamins . This means they can help nourish the scalp, add shine, and keep your strands hydrated. Cue the hands up emoji.
Avocado + Olive Oil Hair Mask
- One ripe avocado
- 1 – 2 tsp olive oil
- Shower cap
- Mash the olive oil and avocado together until blended.
- Separate your dry hair into four sections.
- Work the mixture into each section, starting at the bottom.
- Put on the shower cap and wait 30 minutes.
- Rinse off the mixture and follow up with shampoo and conditioner.
Recipe via Byrdie.
Soak Up the Benefits of Aloe Vera
What can’t aloe vera help? Ok, we’re sure there are some things, but when it comes to the benefits of aloe vera we are 100% on board.
We recently posted about the benefits of aloe vera for your skin, and as it turns out, aloe vera can also benefit your hair!
Aloe Vera + Honey Hair Mask
- 5 tbsp aloe vera gel
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- Shower cap
- Combine all of the ingredients until you get a smooth mixture.
- Work the mixture into your hair, starting at the scalp and working your way down to the ends of your hair.
- Once you have covered your hair completely, put on the shower cap.
- Let it soak in for about 25 minutes.
- Rinse the mixture out with cool water. Follow it up with shampoo and conditioner.
Recipe via StyleCraze.
Bananas are packed full of nutrients. According to Healthline, they contain silica, which is a mineral element your body uses to help synthesize collagen. Studies have shown that collagen can prevent hair loss, encourage hair growth, and reduce the appearance of grey hair . Bananas also have antimicrobial properties that can relieve a dry scalp. We call that a win-win.
Banana + Coconut Hair Mask
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Two ripe bananas
- Peel and chop your bananas then blend with the coconut milk.
- Mix the mixture until it is an even texture.
- Work the mixture through your hair from roots to ends.
- Let it soak in for about 30 minutes.
- Rinse your hair well with warm water.
Recipe via Woman’s Day.
Crack Some Eggs
Eggs are rich in vitamins, minerals, and proteins that can help strengthen dry, brittle hair. The protein from the egg helps strengthen the keratin protein found naturally in your hair.
Think of keratin as the structural building block of your hair, skin, and nails. When it comes to your hair, it helps prevent breakage and strengthens thanks to its protective protein properties. While keratin itself can be applied topically (think salon chemical treatments), it can be taken as a supplement as well.
For this hair mask, it’s all about strengthening your hair naturally. Raw eggs in your hair may sound a little cringe-worthy, but we think the results from this natural hair mask will be worth it!
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Melt the coconut oil, but make sure it is slightly warm. NOT hot.
- Separate the egg yolk from the egg white.
- Gradually whisk together the egg yolk and oil until combined.
- Work the mixture into your hair, starting at the ends and working your way up.
- Once your hair is covered, leave in for 20 minutes.
- Rinse out with COOL water. Apply conditioner and let dry.
Recipe via Botaneri.
Have you tried any of these natural hair masks? Let us know in the comments below!